FPMS Payment Terminals Cleaning Instructions
Good hygiene and cleanliness are now more important than ever to protect both Merchants, their staff, and customers. The payment terminal serves as a frequent contact point between customers and Merchants. For your safety we would therefore like to remind you how to clean your terminal.
Cleaning of your payment terminal:
Guidelines for the proper cleaning of your FPMS Payment Terminal are as follows:
- Terminal Manufacturers recommends using a soft, non-abrasive cloth very slightly impregnated with soapy water to clean the outside of the terminal.
- It is recommended to use cloth pre-impregnated for a better control of the quantity of liquid applied on the device. An excessive application of liquid may possibly damage the terminal.
- Hydro-alcoholic solution can only be used when on a pre-impregnated cloth.
- Some hydro-alcoholic solution may include isopropyl alcohol. It can be used on every part of the device if isopropyl alcohol concentration is below 20%.
- Do not clean the electrical connections.
- Do not spray, pour, or coat any liquid, disinfectant, or cleaners directly on the payment terminal. This may cause the terminal to fail and you will be charged customer damage fees.
- The list might not be limited to the following chemical agents, but do not use solvents, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, thinner, trichloroethylene, or ketone-based solvents, Ether, Thymol based agent, detergents or abrasive products as they may damage the plastic or electrical contacts.
- Alcohol cleaning solutions (isopropyl solution 70%) cannot be used on the plastic display lenses.
- Avoid excessive wiping, which might cause damage
- Do not get moisture into any openings nor use aerosol sprays.
- Avoid exposing the terminal to the direct rays of the sun.
- Avoid exposing the terminals to Ultraviolet lamps as it could degrade the cosmetic or create functional damage on the terminal.
- Do not put anything into the slot of the smart card reader
Please note: While cleaning as per the instructions above has no impact on the performances or functions of the terminal, a very frequent cleaning may modify the cosmetic aspect of some plastic parts used into our devices; such cosmetic wear is not covered by the standard Terminal warranty conditions.
The usage of inappropriate cleaning or disinfecting agents may create damages or functional problems and / or trigger a tamper alert. Such damages related to an inappropriate disinfection are not covered by the standard warranty and you could be charged Customer Damage fees.
Protectives films and PCI PTS compliance constraints:
Some companies propose the use of protective films and overlays to protect payment terminals from damages created by an intensive cleaning.
PCI SSC does not endorse the use of overlays that interact with the entering of a payment card or PIN data, as stated on their website under the following link
As recommended by PCI SSC, “Merchants should consult with their acquirer or payment brand on their position regarding the use of overlays during the current crisis.”
Some protective films and overlays may affect the performances of the payment terminals and invalidate the terminal warranty
The Meadows Business Park
The Atrium Building
20 Wollaton Street
Mon-Fri: 9am - 5pm